Joining a Still Water Zoom Online Meeting
Dear Still Water Friends.
You do not have to have a Zoom account to attend a Still Water Zoom Online Gathering. You can participate with audio and video from a computer that has a camera, or your can use a smart phone, or a tablet. You can also participate with audio only from any telephone.
To participate you must have a Zoom link from Still Water or know the meeting ID.
If this is your first time attending a Zoom meeting, give yourself at least ten minutes to set things up. You may want to check your sound and video out with a Zoom Test Call. If you run into trouble, check out the Zoom Help Center Getting Started Page.
If you are hosting a Zoom gathering, with the Still Water community or anywhere else, you may be interested in our Still Water Host Tips.
Joining from a Desktop
- Go to your invitation email and open the highlighted link under Join Zoom Meeting.
- If this is your first time using Zoom, you will be prompted to download the Zoom Desktop Client. The download will take just a few minutes.
- Once it has loaded, click on the zoom.us launcher or zoom.us client to enter the meeting. You may be prompted to type in your preferred username.
Joining from a Smart Phone or Tablet
- Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings application in the usual way you download applications on your smart phone.
- Go to you invitation email and open the highlighted link under Join Zoom Meeting.
- Choose to open the meeting through the Zoom app on your phone.
- Type in your preferred username if prompted. ( You can also sign in using your Google or Facebook login.)
- Allow the Zoom app to access your camera and microphone for conferencing.
Joining from a telephone
- Dial a U.S. Zoom number, such as 929 436 2866, which is the East Coast number.
- When asked, provide the Zoom meeting ID.
- If you have difficulties, the Zoom Help Page on Joining a meeting by phone may be helpful.
Once you are in the Zoom Meeting
- When you connect with a computer or tablet, you enter the session in Speaker View, which allows you to see the individual participants in a row at the top of the screen and the person speaking in the large center screen. You are able to change to Gallery View (on computers there is an icon that looks like a tic-tat-toe square in the upper corner right corner of the screen). When you click on it, you will see all the participants in little boxes. If you want to switch back, click the Speaker View icon in the upper right corner.
- If you are using a computer, at the bottom left of the screen you will see icons for microphone and video. On a tablet they may be on the upper left. By clicking on the microphone you can mute or unmute it. In consideration for others, it is a good practice to keep your microphone muted when you are not speaking.
- By clicking on the video icon, you can turn your camera on or off. It is helpful to turn off the video if you are having a side conversation, or need to stretch for a few minutes. The audio from the meeting speak will continue, even if the camera is turned off, and even if the microphone is muted.
- You will get the best results if you quit all the programs or applications that are not needed while you are on the Zoom call.
- It is helpful to pay attention to your background. If there is too much light behind you, you may appear unilluminated and indistinct. A light on in front of you is usually helpful.